>

09 December 2005

philosophical tangets

What a nice way to end the semester. Wasn't too rushed or overwhelmed for once. Granted, I still have a ton of studying to do before my finals but overall I'm actually enjoying this finale.
This is totally random, well sort of, loosely brought on by a conversation with Mum the other day but anyway... Have you ever experienced an emotion or situation by proxy or vicariously through someone else? For example, I myself have never been a mother but I have seen much of what Dawn goes through for Marie everyday; the joys, hardships, the funny moments, and the sad. That's a broad, simplified example but it fits. Or hearing all the crazy things that happen in my friends' relationships. I don't have to live them to learn from them or understand what they're feeling. Which leads me to my next thought. Do most artists, whether musician, author, etc, create solely from their own personal repertoire, draw largely from others', or some mixture thereof? I sure don't have any answers but rather assume it's some mix, different for each, of course. Since I've already admitted on here that I occasionally write some poetry, I'll go on to admit that not all or even half of them depict events or feelings completely or real to life. And I guess that's the wiggle-room allowed to all "creators" in the artsy world. Artsy world isn't the same as real life and isn't obligated to look like it much either.
Well, that was certainly more philosophical than I had intended...
On that philosophical tangent... Love. There are so many forms and types of love yet we who speak American English use that same word for all of them. How strange is that??? I can't remember for sure off the top of my head but I think it is at least the Greeks who have separate words for brotherly love and romantic love. Which makes more sense to me. At least separate it in two categories, if not more. On second thought, brotherly love could also be used to cover the other categories that come to mind; acquantence love that makes you smile, best friend/soul twin love that makes you worry and laugh with them, nonbiological sibling love for those who should have been in your family if you could pick relatives, Old friend love for those who once were close to your heart but now time-weathered and life-strained, etc. (Ever notice I use etc when I can't think of more options but want to balance out the sentence anyway? muhahahahaha) I'm not really going anywhere with this thought...
Well, Happy Friday everyone and Good luck on Finals to anyone who still has some to take! (Take 'em fast and with a chaser. Or maybe that was shots... ?)
And just for fun!

"There are only four questions of value in life, Don Octavio. What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same: only love." ~Can you tell me who said that? (I know Julia can!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home