>

14 February 2006

V-day ramble

Happy Valentine's Day ya'll!!! Hope yours is wonderful; full of fun and laughter!
Work Sunday and classes Monday all went well. Wall Climbing is very slowly, painfully strengthening my wrists. By the end of the semester I'll either break them or be the strongest wristed gal in the area. Either way quite an accomplishment.
Last night I finished the experiment requirement for psych class. It seemed to go on forever... so boring but since it's done I don't have to worry about it later in the semester. Yay!
Currently playing "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" by the Beatles. It's rocking my world.
I've been reading a really good book lately (Socrates Cafe by Christopher Phillips) and it's really brought up a lot of questions. [Let me back up for a minute. The entire book is mostly about asking questions in a group setting and hashing them out, not to find an answer but simply for the sake of asking questions in the first place. One of those things where what you answer isn't as important as what question you asked in the first place. It's really very thought provoking, of course.] One of the most interesting thus far for me has been what "What is home?" In their discussion they talk about where they were born, where the heart is, where they sleep, etc. But do those really answer the question for everyone? To me, home is that ideal nostlogic place that I called home as a kid. Where my jungle gym was built, where I helped in the gardens each season, and learned to ride a bike. The house itself is still there but it has changed so much that I hardly recognize it. Our once beautiful gardens are now pathetic and it's just generally gone downhill. But that's still home to me. Of course, I call the house my parents live in now home but it isn't the place that is quintissentially home to me. "You can't go home again." This is a dreadfully sad thought to me. Even if it's sometimes true to say it so bluntly is saddening.
Since I'm still at just the beginning I can't say how the rest of the book is going to be but thus far it's quite entertaining. Not funny exactly but worth a read. I miss having a ton of free time to read. It's a great day that I manage to squeeze some (nontext)book time in. Woohoo!
Sometimes watching others go through major life problems/milestones is difficult. How do you know just what to say or how to react? It's blatantly cruel to just say flippantly, "Yeah, sure you're hurting right now but you're not the first or last to go through this so just get over it." Moving on in life is usually hard and often scary but we all have to face it at some point. The optimist in me says that things typically get better even if we don't think that's at all possible at the time. But how to help others cope with change, especially change they didn't want in the first place??
What a strange note to end on. Oh well. Happy Valentine's Day!

* Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connait point.* ("the heart has its reasons of which it does not know of")

"I have found men who didn't know how to kiss. I've always found time to teach them." ~Mae West

"You will never know true happiness until you have truly loved, and you will never understand what pain really is until you have lost it."-Anonymous

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home