>

11 November 2005

Rant 4

Happy Veteran's Day!!!
I went to class this morning and it was one of those days where I'd be better off just sleeping in since going to lecture won't help my comprehension of the material one bit. Good times.

Last night Julia, Skronky, and I watched Crash and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy after Julia and I made dinner (yummy fried potatoes and slightly disappointing chicken). Both were definitely worth seeing. I hadn't expected much from Hitchhiker's but it surprised me. I can't really describe Crash... It was too much like real life to define with movie cliches.
This weekend is Dad's Weekend here at the lovely OU campus. (I didn't know about it until Thursday; Sorry Dad!) Everyone is supposed to invite their fathers to class today, tour campus, go to the various activities in their honor. Saturday, everyone is supposed to go to the game and then have a cookout, etc... Sounds lovely. Hope everyone has fun. As for me, I'll be trying to keep myself entertained... We'll see how that turns out.
On to Rant 4...
Inspiration from Emerson's Friendship, " I do then with my friends as I do with my books. I would have them where I can find them, but I seldom use them. We must have society on our own terms, and admit or exclude it on the slightest cause... Then, though I prize my friends, I cannot afford to talk with them and study their visions, lest I lose my own."I picked this quote mostly because I can't decide if I agree more than disagree with it. I definitely see the point that if one spends too much time with certain friends your separate identities start to meld into one... Not to be rude but a very good example could be found in any one of the sororities or fraternities on campus, if in nothing more than the way they dress to match each other. Of course, if you're friends with someone then the two of you probably have at least a few things in common, so possessing "visions" that are similar wouldn't be too unusual.
My biggest problem in regards to my friends isn't that I'm afraid of becoming just like them or not having "society on my terms"; I'm more afraid of simply losing touch with them. Several of my friends from high school, real friends not just the acquantiences one must put up with in a public school setting, have been scattered to the wind in all directions and merely keeping track of them is a task in itself, not to mention getting to talk often enough to still feel connected. Of my more recent college friends the problem isn't so much knowing where they are but finding time in busy schedules to just "hang out" together outside of classes and work. Even the ones that are really, truly worth keeping get swept under the rug when the workload of life gets too heavy. And that's sad. Is this just a college-age problem or will this feeling of loss last forever?
And when the chance does come to catch up with those long neglected ones, if you're lucky you can start right back up where you left off. Others, well, you've both changed so much that the only common ground you have anymore is the past you shared and even that's fading quickly.
Such is the way of life, I suppose. I certainly could be mistaken as twenty years of experience can only teach me so much.
Emerson's quote here seems to be more relevant to the life of a person who truly enjoys solitude and spending hours thinking. Thinking is good, but in today's hurried world relationships should hold more sway. (Well, and I also speak as a female, of course, so our opinions on friendship may be widely different.)
Today I'm just a jumble and thus if my rant isn't entirely coherent or even loosely on topic then I appologise. Happy Weekend ya'll!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous adoringly said...

Hey,

well i think this goes back to the adage everything worth having isnt easy. With friendship this quote is never more applicable, every time you start a friendship you put your feelings in the hands of one who may or may not deserve it. all you can do is hope they dont take advantage of you. as for keeping in touch with them i think that is a american problem, the culture of america is that we really have no culture we are always busy improving on the past instead of lingering on it like people in most countries. i do not know if this is good or bad but us and japan seem to be the only countries who truly desire progress. This leaves us with little time for family friends or ourselves. So why take the time to build friendships at all?. Because at the end of it all the only thing we have is one another. Think of all the stories of rich people who are miserable. You can only find happiness in one another. Searching for it anywhere else is just foolish. Hug a veteran today, um, like me, maybe.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home