>

08 November 2005

Ranting 1

I've got superglue on my fingers and count myself lucky to not have my fingers stuck together or to anything else. Because that would be unfortunate. But, yes, funny.
Kick-butt workout today in yogalates. I should have known better than to grab the 5 pound weights when there were perfectly good 3 pound ones just a few inches away.
I was looking over some poems I've written over the years... I've realized I usually only write poems when I'm sad, melancholy, mad, anything but really happy. I guess it's a good thing I haven't written too terribly many poems, huh? But I really wanted to pick out one to post for today and none of them convey what I feel right now so I cannot. Maybe another day.
I was reading some Emerson earlier while I waited between classes. I really enjoy coming back to Emerson after the banal reading of science texts or the simplistic writing required for Spanish class. His work really makes me think. Since I feel somewhat inspired with a topic to soliloquize on I think I'm going to write something relevant to what I'm reading each day this week. I do realize Monday would have been a more harmonious day to start this but whatever. Work with what we're given, right?
My first in this quazi-series is a topic I've thought of before and just neglected to write about. It's the idea that certain everyday words mean very different things to different people and that time period effects this understanding of definition. Emerson speaks of the word 'gentleman' in his essay on manners. For him a gentleman is one who "is a man of truth, lord of his own actions, and expressing that lordship in his behavior, not in any manner dependent and servile either on persons, or opinions, or possessions. Beyond this fact of truth and real force, the word denotes good-nature or benevolence; manhood first, and then gentleness." This definition seems the ideal one and I mostly agree with it. By the same token I've heard the general public of today refer to a gentleman in a more simplified way, merely as a man who takes the time to act with courtesy to those around him. I suppose this works as well but it doesn't really take into account a man's actions in any other arena of his life. He could be the most vile, deciteful person on earth but if he holds open the door for someone, he stands the chance of being called a gentleman. I honestly think I've only met a half-dozen or so true gentlemen in my life. Which is a shame. I'd talk about a female version of that word but I don't know one that really fits. Lady is a true title besides conveying gentility. Gentlewoman sounds almost condescending. When I think of one, I'll let ya know.
Other words I've considered include... Christian. Openminded. Patriotic.
For Christian, obviously the belief and conviction in the one true God and faith that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior is paramount. I doubt anyone would contest that statement. But in my own experience I've met people who claimed to be Christian that were you to meet them as well you'd be surprised to learn of their declaration. Neither by their actions nor by their words do they suggest any deep-rooted faith in much of anything, much less a love and devotion to being Christ-like. I'm not even going so far as to judge and say they break all of the Big Ten but they seem to completely ignore the simple message that only holds two rules to follow: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind... Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:37-39) Not that these two are so easy. They weren't meant to be. But reveling in being the biggest sinner on the block isn't the fastest way to help others find the Lord you claim to love. Be the Christian you say you are. (I don't claim to be perfect or above sinning either. I'm down in the ditch just as low as anyone else. But I'm trying.)
As for openminded and patriotic, well, my points for those are much the same. They just don't mean what they used to, and not the same for all people.
I'd love to rant for another hour or so but it's time to start dinner...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous adoringly said...

i didnt know you wrote poetry...

12:18 AM  
Blogger BigDan67 adoringly said...

There must be something in the water... I imagine a person's actions truely do speak louder than their words. I'd watch what they do then, it's more fun anyway. Remember too that it's what comes out a man's mouth that defiles him. Emmerson, cool.

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home