28 March 2007

Who knew Tuesday hated me?

Whew! Going back to school after Spring Break isn't for the faint of heart!
Whipped up another circle skirt Sunday from my old painting jeans (Julia, the ones I wore when we did your room red!) and I must say it's lovely. I had to piece together a couple of the parts but it all worked out from just that one pair of jeans and some new thread (I even ripped out the old zipper and used it as a closure)! I'm pretty proud of it if you can't tell. Then I sewed and stuffed another of my bunnies, this time in red. All three still need faces and tails but just haven't had the time to do it or the patience to work out in my mind how I want to do them.
On Monday I got to make a pretty bright purple emulsion in lab (the phenolphthalein is what turned it purple; Before that it was a gross greyish gloppy color) and dispense it in a nifty little glass bottle. It was cute! But the other emulsion didn't turn out quite right (I had a little help in messing that one up) so I sort of BSed my way around it until I got it looking closer to right. Lab's pretty fun if you don't count the mess-ups.
Tuesday was just chaos. Before I go into that I'd like to toss around the theory we had in youth group during high school; That Tuesdays have bad karma and thus always turn out gross. It seemed that every week when we'd meet up on Wednesday evening we'd all have a gripe about how each of our Tuesdays had gone, including but not limited to: failing tests, losing keys/books/homework, having fights with friends, car wrecks, and all sorts of bad news breaking like a flood. So Tuesdays were the bane of our discussions. Now I belatedly have another to add to the gripe list... Long story to follow:
Woke up at six after just a few hours of sleep (due to studying) to get ready for school since I had a stats test early at eight thirty, a test that makes up a fourth of my semester grade in the long run. Left for campus at seven for a drive that normally takes roughly thirty to fourty-five minutes depending on traffic (and if I have to stop to gas up or get coffee). Listened to the radio like usual from which I heard that there was a huge wreck on my planned route. Heard that report exactly one minute (and no exits) before I hit, at ~seven-twenty, the traffic jam that ensued from a tanker with hazardous materials jack-knifing and taking out 6 other vehicles in its wake. I take the very next exit, after crawling for something like twenty minutes, which just happens to have a wreck too, a train had hit a car with a fatality resulting just less than an hour beforehand. So I head East at a snail's pace to the next big intersection to go more North to get as far away from the highway as possible, thinking that the problem couldn't get worse. Waiting to go around three stalled-out vehicles later I finished my travel mug of french vanilla tea. About this time I call up one of my classmates to ask him to tell the professor proctoring the test that there is no way I'll be there in time since it was roughly eight-fifteen by this point. Finally make it to the next more North street that goes East and am greated by still more congestion! A couple more stalled-out cars to wait around before I make it to yet another intersection to go even more North. Get halfway through my bottle of water before I get to go over fifteen miles per hour (Did I mention that it was raining? Most of this drive was in the rain too... And after all that tea and water I was starting to get to the point where a restroom would have been helpful. The rain didn't let me forget that either...). The rest of the drive was stressful but very uneventful (oh and I had only a quarter of a tank of gas at the beginning of the story! It got close to the red line). I arrived at school at just after nine, thirty minutes after my stats test was supposed to begin. Made a beeline for the restroom, then sat down to assess the situation in the lounge with another of my classmates that had been stuck too. We had both called ahead so figured it would all work out okay. Got the professor to come talk to us briefly wherein he said we could makeup the test when our classmates were finished at ten. We have another class at ten so we went, with a third classmate, to let our other professor know that we wouldn't be in class because we would be taking the test. She was less than helpful, stating, "No, that is unacceptable. You can't miss class. He'll understand." So we head back to the lounge to wait out until ten when we could talk to the stats prof. As we asked when else we could take it if we weren't allowed to miss our ten-o'clock class he said, "No, she's wrong. I DON'T understand." His thinking was that if we weren't taking a test in our ten o'clock class then we should be taking his test, nothing else would work. He heads out to go talk to the other professor. The three of us just go to our seats quietly, hoping for the best. Then the stats prof comes back in to call us down and out, saying that what the other prof didn't know wouldn't hurt her. Eeek! He didn't talk to her at all! Took about an hour and a half to finish that test. Found out that the rest of our class only had to stay for about an hour for our two hour long ten o'clock class and that the terribly helpful prof had never shown up anyway (we have more than one prof for that class and one of the away-site profs taught instead). Haven't seen any repercussions from that yet but wouldn't be surprised if it became a big deal. I left for home after the test since we didn't have an evening lecture and ate lunch before falling into a three hour nap on the couch. Woke up feeling really sick and feverish. Took my own temperature but had trouble reading the results (I think it was around 100*F) so headed upstairs to study immunology with a cup of tea. Studied all afternoon and late into the evening with the help of decongestants and NSAIDs (the NSAIDs really helped with the hot/cold flashes). So would you agree that my Tuesday wasn't everything that a nice day could be?
Immuno test this morning at nine went okay, I think, and today I've felt a little better but still achey and congested so we'll see how tomorrow goes.
One of the really nice parts of Tuesday was a hug from my Big (my Kappa Psi Big Brother, whom I was friends with in undergrad so she was a natural choice for my Big) before my stats test when I was still freaking out (after my eye twitch had gone but before my hands stopped shaking). She's been through all this before and understands how stressed we are (not that the stress stops at the end of P1 year!) so it's nice to have someone just be there for ya. Thanks Brother!
Now for a nap! Love to all and best wishes for a lovely week! (OH! And the Medieval Fair is this weekend in Norman! Yay!)

Labels: ,


Post a Comment

<< Home