>

20 January 2008

thoughtful cookies

Ever notice how trying to get back to where you were is harder than it was to get where you are now? Am doing some deep thinking about what I am and what I want to be, as well as how to get there someday. (Not professionally or physically, of course, since those would be easier changes to enact...)

Cardiovascular module at school is keeping me humble. I really need to figure out how to use the lovely stethoscope my aunt has loaned me. Studying notes/books needs to happen as well but I find it's much more enjoyable to visit with those I love. Ah well, such is the way of the world.

Just before break ended I started reading a really old book that I picked up at a library sale - Latin for Americans First Book copyrighted in 1962. I've made it through 3 chapters and still don't know if I'll finish all the way through but can understand enough of the readings that it is rather fun. (It's like an old high school Latin textbook or at least on that level.) Just another distraction. Bully for dead languages!

Recently completely flubbed up when trying a recipe for tea cookies (that is rumored to be one of my great grandmother's) and have created a cookie that seems like a mix between a pancake and a snicker doodle. I like it. Unlike chocolate chip cookies that I love so much that I will sit and eat a dozen by myself these cookies are good but rather heavy so I only want to eat one while still enjoying the heck out of that one... I love mistakes like that, that end up being wonderful. Just what you wanted to happen without knowing it was what you wanted. It's curious how many things start out looking like a total mess and failure only to prove to be a God-send.

A beautiful form is better than a beautiful face; a beautiful behavior is better than a beautiful form: it gives a higher pleasure than statues or pictures; it is the finest of fine arts. -R.W. Emerson from his essay on Manners

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home